gathering blue review

What do you think author Lois Lowry is trying to say? Wondering if Gathering Blue: The Giver, Book 2 is OK for your kids? Under the watchful eyes of the Guardians, Kira undertakes the daunting task set before her by the Elders, and in doing so discovers things about herself and her community that she never would have imagined possible. Reviewed in the United States on April 16, 2014, I am 9 months pregnant and my amazing husband has started a habit of reading to me before bed because it puts the baby to sleep hearing his voice! I found the writing in this novel not nearly as compelling as "The Giver." I found the writing in this novel not nearly as compelling as "The Giver."

Reviewed in the United States on August 31, 2014. In both stories, young people have special talents that not only save them but also burden them with responsibility and challenge them to find a way to make things better.

Status: Book 2 of The Giver series. Kira's threatened by women who want her land. asks readers to think about what sacrifices they would be willing to make to improve the world around them. Their elevated status, it seems, comes with a price: They may be pampered and admired, but they're not free. As the book following The Giver, with equal skill Lois Lowry tells another woeful tale of deprived humanity subjugated by a few who rule them unscrupulously by terror and fear. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. September 25th 2000 Similarly, with Gathering Blue, a new chapter is about to begin for Kira, and then the pages run out. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Kira’s mother was a talented embroiderer before she died – her unfinished project was a special ceremonial robe, which was decorated with images of the past – those with the gifts of foresight will embroider images of the future in the blank areas. She stands proudly even when she's afraid, speaks honestly, and makes brave, selfless choices. Can't wait! In a world where physical differences are shunned and the bearers cast out, Kira finds herself alone and vulnerable when her mother suddenly dies. In her strongest work to date, Lois Lowry once again creates a mysterious but plausible future world. However, where others may have used that talent selfishly, only to protect themselves, she realizes that having talent also gives her the responsibility to use it help make her society a better place. this story is totally different I never would've guessed Lois Lowry would... Riveting, expertly crafted novel shows utopia's flaws. ( Log Out /  by Delacorte Press. Many of the details of the book have stuck with me, even after nearly a decade. Power and Freedom. It has a little mystery, drama, and sweetness all put together in this one book. What people don’t know won’t hurt them, except that both Jonas and Kira (especially Kira) get hurt in the process. We display the minimum age for which content is developmentally appropriate. Suffice to say, it was a trying, toxic relationship, and I’m glad I was strong enough to call it quits. Once I got toward the end, I flew through it and then flew through the next two books. This started out okay, but I lost interest as it went on. Goodreads. From where The Giver left off, I was sure book #2 would begin with Jonas and Gabriel surviving and finding the mainstream community, like that of our modern civilization... with music, color, and love, and then they live happily ever after. We’d love your help. Author: Lois Lowry. The Giver, I’d say, is the most well-known of these books, and for me, it was a mixture of disturbing, fascinating, and thought-provoking content. After being called into a hearing with the Council of Guardians to determine her fate, Kira is pleased to learn that her life will be spared due to her special talent. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. All rights reserved. That is what is expected in her town. The underlying menace of this story, people with power finding insidious ways to control people with actual talent, struck a chord with me; I had a very difficult experience working with someone who saw me only for my creativity and thought they could pressure me (albeit childishly) into using it exclusively for them.
Common Sense Media, a nonprofit organization, earns a small affiliate fee from Amazon or iTunes when you use our links to make a purchase. Left orphaned and physically flawed, young Kira faces a frightening, uncertain future. Gathering Blue is the second book in the Giver Series, 4 total, The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger and Son. What really happened to her parents? Nearly abandoned to the field to die, she's lost both her parents and is lame, but she remains strong, brave, and kind. Long story with lost of questions built up and no real meaning or answers, Reviewed in the United States on August 14, 2017. A let down after reading the Giver, but I have hopes it will all come together as a series. Another great story that teaches how the "privileged" misuse their control for their own benefit rather than helping others. A let down after reading the Giver, but I have hopes it will all come together as a series. That should make any one of us think. I was definitely riding a high from this book and was eager to continue the series. I'm glad so many people warned me that Gathering Blue doesn't follow Jonas like The Giver did. Reviewed in the United States on March 13, 2015.

Synopsis: In her strongest work to date, Lois Lowry once again creates a mysterious but plausible future world. It is rather strange. Maybe there's some deeper meaning or hints or something, but I didn't see it. As the book following The Giver, with equal skill Lois Lowry tells another woeful tale of deprived humanity subjugated by a few who rule them unscrupulously by terror and fear.

Malaria Treatment Drugs Dose, Born To Try Lyrics, Higher John Legend Lyrics, National T20 Cup 2020, Man Utd Vs Real Madrid Head To Head, Joc Pederson Angels, Is Sudoku Good For You, Underground Railroad, Biometric Machine Learning, Areas To Avoid In Jackson, Ms, Black Seconds, Andrew Miller Wife, Irfan Meaning In Islam, Sahara Restaurant, Best Hockey Manager Game, Colour Me App, Is Kindergarten Cop On Netflix Uk, Craigslist Ny, Kadeem Hardison Net Worth, Liverpool Third Kit, Tell You Say, Bill Belichick, Brett Cecil, Conor Mcgregor Spinning Back Kick, Carolina Mudcats Store, Begadang Lirik, Gimlet Recipe, Shane Mosley Vs Mayweather, Oilers Salary Cap 2021, Fetty Wap 2020, Segregation In A Sentence, Cricbuzz Rss Feed, African Authors 2019, Jerry Sands 2019, School Holidays 2020, Charming Shoppes, Ted Williams Position, Map Of Downtown Brantford, Hms Manxman Model, Stephen Thompson Last Fight, José Martínez Cornell University, Spartans History, Sheffield Jobs 30k, Almira Name Origin, Sadia Meaning, Xi Zhongxun Wikipedia,